This course introduces students to microcontroller systems and programming using Python language. Students construct a wheeled robot and learn to program the device. Standard coding structures including statements, loops, and functions are used to control the unit. Debugging and troubleshooting skills are developed as robot capabilities are implemented. The robot is used in subsequent Engineering Technology courses. Group 2 course.
Required Prerequisites MTH 111
-may be taken concurrently
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Basic keyboarding and computer skills.
General Education Outcomes supported by this course
Critical Thinking - Direct
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Assemble components.
- Write code to capture input and control output.
- Utilize code libraries.
- Utilize data types to meet specific criteria.
- Access devices remotely.
- Control hardware with code.
- Build rover control system.
- Determine problem requirements.
- Implement coding solutions.
- Interpret documentation.
- Use resources to solve problems.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Recognize their ability to solve common problems using technology.
Learning How to Learn:
- Appreciate the creative process.
- Recognize various solutions to the same problem.