Paramedic, Associate in Applied Science Degree
In partnership with Munson Medical Center
NMC Code 310
Northwestern Michigan College (NMC) and Munson Regional EMS have partnered to offer an Associate in Applied Science Degree (AAS) with a Paramedic focus. All general education classes are offered at NMC. All paramedic classes are offered through Munson Regional EMS. The program is designed to allow the transfer of 43 paramedic credits from Munson Regional EMS to NMC. With the completion of 18 or more general education credits as identified in the NMC program map, the student will earn an AAS – Paramedic.
To earn an AAS - Paramedic students must obtain a Basic EMT license and meet the clinical experience requirement. This can be completed concurrently while taking NMC classes. Students interested in pursuing a degree in Paramedic would follow the guidelines below for application to NMC and registration of classes.
- Complete an application for admission through NMC at www.nmc.edu/admissions/future-students/
- Request to have an official high school transcript sent to the Admissions Office.
- Schedule an orientation session after an admission letter is obtained.
- Take the placement test or submit your ACT or SAT scores prior to orientation.
- Meet with an academic advisor.
- Bring placement scores to paramedic program contact at Munson Regional EMS.
The following are required for application:
Math competency: placement into MTH 111 Intermediate Algebra or higher with qualifying test scores or completion of MTH 23 Beginning Algebra. (2.0 grade or higher must have been completed within five years or program entry.)
- Complete at least 60 credit hours with a 2.0 or higher cumulative grade point average. A model schedule can be found on the NMC website.
- Complete a minimum of 15 of the 60 credits at NMC.
- Apply for graduation by completing the Application for Degree available online or in the Records & Registration Office on the main floor of the Tanis Building.
- Request an official document from Munson Regional EMS contact to confirm successful completion of the Paramedic program.
- Submit a copy of your Paramedic license to the NMC Records & Registration Office.
|ENG 111||English Composition||4|
|Any Social Science Group 1 course 2||3|
|Any Group 1 Science course with lab 3||4|
|ENG 112||English Composition||4|
|Any Humanities Group 1 course||3-4|
|Paramedic Course work from Munson Medical Center’s Regional EMS Education Paramedic (EMT-P) Program 4||43|
For students planning to continue in the medical field or planning to pursue a bachelor’s degree, MTH 111 Intermediate Algebra is recommended.
For students planning to continue in nursing at NMC, PSY 101 Introduction to Psychology is recommended.
In order for the paramedic courses to transfer, the student must present a copy of a current Paramedic National Registry Certification.