ESL Reading & Vocabulary II is designed to give second language learners the literacy skills they need for college level reading by building on skills they already have. Emphasis on acquiring vocabulary from academic word lists will help prepare students for reading intensive courses. Students will do both extensive and intensive reading on a variety of academic topics.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Students may be placed in this course based on TOEFL scores, appropriate placement scores, or passing a lower level Reading and Vocabulary I class. Writing samples will aid in placement.
Other college designations supported by this course
Degree Req:Cultural Persp/Div
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Identify main ideas and supporting details in academic texts.
- Acquire vocabulary necessary for college level reading.
- Discern vocabulary in context.
- Analyze texts.
- Build vocabulary.
- Demonstrate the reading process from previewing to summarizing.
- Read academic texts.
- Connect what they read with situations in their lives.
- Uncover patterns in text structure.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Come to see themselves as competent readers of English texts.
- Strengthen their ability to interact with native English speakers through vocabulary development.
Learning How to Learn:
- Effectively evaluate and reflect on their own reading.
- Commit to reading for pleasure daily.
- Get excited about their progress in English language acquisition.
- Interact constructively with students and the Writing Reading Center for learning.
- Read and study effectively.