ESL Writing & Grammar I will lay the foundations of English writing for students learning English as a second language. Students will learn strategies for summarizing others' work, writing well organized sentences and paragraphs, and writing basic thesis-driven essays. ESL 89
will expand students' understanding of English grammar which will improve their writing on a sentence level.
Recommended Prerequisites or Skills Competencies
Students may be placed in this course based on TOEFL scores and/or appropriate placement scores. Writing samples will aid in placement.
Other college designations supported by this course
Degree Req:Cultural Persp/Div, Infused: Writing Intensive
Course Learning Outcomes Knowledge:
- Demonstrate the ability to break writing into coherent, unified paragraphs.
- Improve ability to see and correct poor sentence structure.
- Integrate new vocabulary into writing.
- Create well-organized essays.
- Demonstrate the writing process including idea generating, drafting, revising, and editing organize ideas for a logical essay.
Caring - Civic Learning:
- Come to see themselves as improved writers in English.
- Demonstrate resourcefulness in seeking out help through the Writing Reading Center.
Learning How to Learn:
- Effectively evaluate and reflect on their writing.
- Get excited about their progress in English language acquisition.
- Understand the importance of cooperative learning.
- Interact constructively with students and the Writing Reading Center for learning.
- Read and study effectively.
- Understand the importance of the drafting process for competent writing.